If there’s one thing I love to dabble about in for the sake of blogging (and eating), it’s fancy and interesting ingredients. It’s particularly thrilling if said ingredients are intended for use with meat, but anything new and different is enough to make me excited to get in the kitchen.
I’ve also still been feeling inspired by the couple of times in recent months when I’ve used smoked tofu in place of smoked fish, in both this Norwegian-inspired fiskesuppe and these smoked tofu fritters. So when the lovely folks at Weed & Wonderful got in touch to ask if I’d like to try their seaweed products, of course I said a big yes please and plotted on how best to use their smoked-seaweed-infused organic rapeseed oil.
Y’all! can you see? This is a bottle of organic rapeseed oil with smoked seaweed inside (!!) Very exciting! (Also their packaging is just beautiful.) Did you know that rapeseed (canola) oil is lower in saturates than other oils, high in monounsaturates, and has a high content of the omega 3 fatty acid ALA? Rapeseed once got a pretty bad rap, but is enjoying a well-deserved better reputation these days.
This oil has the added benefit of an additional iodine source, as well as being super tasty. We have particularly enjoyed making salad dressings with this oil; the smokiness is delicious and not at all overpowering. (N recommends mixing with some balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper, and Italian herbs.)
I received these products in exchange for writing a review on the blog, however, all the thoughts and opinions expressed in this blog post are 100% mine!
As well as smothering on salad, I also wanted to use this in a recipe that took advantage of its smoky flavour and decided to throw together this risotto, which is intended to mimic a smoked fish risotto. Let’s go!
Smoked Tofu Rice & Barley Risotto
- 2-3 tbsp smoked oil
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 3-4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 125 grams chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
- 150 grams risotto rice
- 150 grams pearl barley
- 225 gram packet of smoked tofu (roughly crumbled)
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp thyme
- 200 ml unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 large dollop Oatly oat fraiche (optional)
- Begin by softening the onion and garlic in a good drizzle of the oil.
- When softened, add the mushrooms and thyme and stir well. Sauté for a few minutes, allowing the mushrooms to release some of their juices.
- Add the crumbled tofu and the rice and pearl barley. Mix well.
- Add the vegetable stock and non-dairy milk. Turn the heat down load and allow to simmer for up to 30 mins, until both the rice and barley are well-cooked.
Seaweed & Co’s Weed and Wonderful range has a selection of oils and also organic Scottish seaweed capsules (vegan-friendly) if you want to up your intake of iodine. The oil products are a fantastic way of satisfying that umami itch if you miss seafood, and I highly recommend it for salads, dressings, and anywhere else you might enjoy a an extra smoky dimension to your grub!