How are you, friends? How is 2019 treating you thus far? For me, it has been a hectic scramble of work, home, changes, decisions, running out of money…. We’re only two weeks in and I’m in the eye of a storm where so much is changing and so much remains the same. None of it is solidified just yet, but in the spirit of my recent ‘Unfuck your Life’ blog posts (one, two, and three) I’m simplifying my life in order that I can…
Think about the future
I planned a gargantuan de-clutter of our home in 2019. I hoped, in a way I wasn’t sure was naive or sensible, that the majority would be completed by the end of January. And I wish that I’d taken some “before” shots, friends, because N and I are making SUCH progress and I am SO proud of us both. This has been hard work, mentally and physically! I (like Jack Monroe) am becoming increasingly protective of Marie Kondo and her gentle wisdom. That it has become commodified is a complicated thing, but the theory is absolutely sound and I’ve had a Thing Or Two to say about it on Twitter….
Anyhoo. There’s a lot brewing. It’s really all about moving forward, getting a bit more enlightened, teaching this old dog some new tricks. You know what I’m grateful for? I’m grateful for people who are open and honest and vulnerable about their own struggles and about their evolution(s) and their own learning. That’s pretty powerful too.
For now, how about some links? It’s Monday, so grab a tasty beverage and a biscuit and have a wee read. (Those signed up to my mailing list got first view of these, as well as a slightly more personal re-cap of our Christmas. Sign up if you like!)
So, very eclectic list of articles and/or resources that I have found interesting/inspiring recently:
- Disability and Veganism
A great post discussing some of the barriers disabled vegans face, and offering some helpful tips to tackle them.
- Diversify your Veganism 2019
A post by me that does exactly what it says on the tin!
- Lulu & the Lobster
An innovative online workshop by Dr A. Breeze Harper on 22 January 2019 that will give participants beginner tools and frameworks to enhance how they engage with diversity, equity, and inclusion as animal advocates and/or vegans within the USA. (Also suitable for people living outside the USA!)
- Sanctuary Publishers’ Mail-a-Book drive
For 2019 Sanctuary is offering you the opportunity to purchase books at a discounted rate to send to an organisation of your choice. That might be your local library, community centre, shelter, prison library, school(s), Universities, or initiatives by/for people of colour in your community.
- Not my Burning Times: Witch trials, oppression, and magical identity making
“Whole cultures are lost to the violence of colonialism, and it is more than just magick that they work to regain.”
- Neither of my parents was exactly who I thought they were (Elizabeth Wurtzel)
- I’m hoping this ancient behavioral theory will help me connect with my frustrated 4-year-old
Start by substituting ‘but’ with ‘and’.
- In the time of #SurvivingRKelly…. Roxane Gay’s Can I Enjoy the Art but Denounce the Artist? is relevant as heck.
“He once created great art, and then he destroyed his great art. The responsibility for that destruction is his and his alone. We are free to lament it, but not at the expense of his victims.”
- Support London’s first Black Feminist Bookshop!
- Support the Vegans of Color 2019 mini-conference funding drive.
- New Year, Same You: Anti-Resolution Edition: My Only Weight to Lose is Body Shame
- Black horror in trailer for documentary Horror Noire
- ‘Disabled saviour’ videos aren’t heartwarming – they’re patronising and disturbing
- Winners of the 2018 Nikon Small World Contest (amazing micro-photography)
Additional to those in the email:
- Khan Academy (Free online learning!!)
- ‘Tidying Up with Marie Kondo’ Is Inadvertently About Women’s Invisible Labor
- Veganism and a Non-Diet Approach to Nutrition
- Marks & Spencer Launches Range of 350 Affordable Vegan Shoes (FINALLY VEGAN WIDE-FITS I’VE WAITED A DECADE!!)
And so that’s that for now, my friends. I am planning some fun blog stuff in 2019 and (for a number of reasons) should have more time to dedicate to the fun stuff (like taking photos of food, etc.)
How is your 2019 so far?
|My recent link round-up:|